Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Foreskin: Don't Go Commando Without It

Just wanted to share some anti-circumcision graphics that I came across recently and a quick anecdote.

First the anecdote: So I'm recently divorced, and have started dating again for the first time in eleven years. Since I began dating, I've quickly come to the realization that early-twenties me knew who she was and what she wanted and talked openly about those things.  Mid-thirties me really knows who she is and she'll talk about anything important to her including intactivism, even on a first date.
Hey, I just met you, but this ain't crazy. Circumcision's wrong for babies.
Here's kind of how the conversation went:
Date: Tell me some things you are passionate about.
Me: Of course my kids (that's pretty much a given), health and wellness, natural living, eating organic/whole foods, vegetarianism, avoiding toxins, libertarianism, circumcision . . .
Date: You're passionate about circumcision?
Me: No, I'm highly against infant circumcision. Are you circumcised?
Date: Yes
Me: Did you know that when babies are circumcised they don't receive any pain medication and the foreskin that is removed, for no medical reason whatsoever, has 20,000 highly sensitive nerve endings?
Date: I had no idea. 20,000 nerve-endings gone? 20,000 nerve endings cut with or without pain meds sounds horrific.
Me: I know. That's one of the reasons why I'm so against it and why I feel so passionate about it.
Date: I heard they circumcise baby boys, so they are easier to clean.  That has never made much sense to me.
Me: One of the reasons that infant circumcision continues is because doctors, heedless of their vow to do no harm, make big money off the procedures, and then they can sell the removed foreskin tissue to labs and cosmetic companies for even more profit.  It's all about the money.
Date: That is really messed up.
Me: I know, right?
Then, the date proceeded like we had just been talking about movies we liked or something equally benign.  Later, he asked me out again.  I'm not sure if I'll go, but I like that I was able to speak my crunchy, little mind to someone I had never met before, and he didn't say I was crazy. HE ASKED ME ON A SECOND DATE!  The End.
Now on to the graphics:   
This great anti-circ graphic is from Intact OH.  "Foreskin: don't go commando without it.  The foreskin protects the glans from injury, and the urinary meatus from contaminants.  So play outside with no pants on.  It's got you covered." 

And, I found another anti-circumcision someecard on Mama's Milkies to add to my collection.
 "He's circumcised and has had no problems!" said the parents of the boy who had a normal penis at birth that had no problems either.
Ash writes, "This argument has always confused me. 'My son is circumcised and he is just fine!' But... He was just fine at birth too and you still had him restrained and had part of his penis amputated, so... You can't really use that as your defense. That's MY defense. He was JUST FINE when he was born too. So why mess with it? 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'" I agree, Ash, I very much agree!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment